[uplug] F-Droid workshop in Berlin on the 17th of August

Daniel Martí mvdan at fsfe.org
Do Aug 8 19:09:33 CEST 2013

    F-Droid Workshop - Learn how to include new apps into the F-Droid
                       Free Software app repository for your Android

    When?   Saturday the 17th of August, 2PM - 6PM
    Where?  Büro 2.0 (http://www.buero20.org/anfahrt)
    Who?    Daniel Martí - F-Droid developer

Hello everyone,

I'm Daniel, a Computer Science student from Barcelona currently doing an
internship at the FSFE offices in Berlin. I'm also a developer and app
maintainer in the F-Droid project - and on Saturday the 3rd of August
we'll be doing an F-Droid workshop here in Berlin. You're very welcome
to come and join us!

F-Droid is a project that aims to provide Free Software applications for
Android via a repository system, much like most of the GNU/Linux
distributions distribute packages. This differs very much from the
Google Play approach since the client and server side software are
respect your freedoms and don't force you to use a Google account to use
them.

The workshop is aimed at developers and advanced users - if you know how
to use the terminal on a gnu/linux machine you're probably good to go.
The only requirements for the workshop are basic technical skills on a
gnu/linux environment, including basic knowledge of the shell and the
Git VCS. We will be using Gitorious, so you should already have an
account at gitorious.org.

The event will be split into two parts: First, there will be a
presentation explaining the basics about F-Droid and how it works. After
that, we'll head on to the hands-on workshop, where everyone will be
welcome to include new apps, update existing ones, improve the client
and anything else you'd like to do!

Apart from your Android device, you should also bring a laptop if you
have one. It will be easier to participate in the workshop if you have
your own computer. You should also install Virtualbox and Vagrant
beforehand if you would like to test out app builds yourself.

For more information, please see the wiki page containing all the
information regarding the activities and other details:

https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/Workshops

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me by
email at mvdan at mvdan.cc.

See you soon!

Daniel

- --